Monday 22 August 2011

Unpacking the Sutras

It’s been a hectic few weeks for me what with one thing or another, I’ve definitely been having a whale of a time! I’ve decided to take this approaching autumn time to begin to turn in and reconnect with the roots of yoga. For me right now this means the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. The Sutras for me are what draws all lineages back to their source. We talk a lot about different styles, philosophies or practices of yoga. However, at its source it’s all one and through the sutras we can return again and again to the essence of yoga.
There are many stories about who Patanjali was and even whether he existed at all. What we do know is that we’re left with 196 pithy sentences which reveal to us the practice of yoga. Suture, the medical word for stitching, is derived from Sutra and in it gives us some idea of the meaning. The ability to pack meaning into few words so that the Sutras could be memorised by heart and their full meaning revealed over time.
That’s why I return again and again to the Sutras. Because there’s always something new to find, I’ve changed and my circumstances have changed. That’s why each time I return I get something new and I get to reconnect with yogis of old and express this yoga in my own unique way.

No comments:

Post a Comment